Saturday, December 20, 2014

Furnishing an unfurnished house

The house we rented came unfurnished. Unfurnished also means no stove or refrigerator. So we have gone about buying those things. Our taxi driver who seems to know just about everything and has connections for anything was able to take us to a store where one must be known just to get in where we purchased our new stove and refrigerator . Next to a mattress store. These items where delivered on time. however since we knew a lady who was to recommend someone who would make a bed-frame, we placed the mattress on the floor.
We used our empty shipping boxes for tables.

The lady never came thru with a carpenter, so after several days on the floor, we decided we could make our own frame.We could by a frame for $250. Since  I had found a lumber yard near-by We decided to see what we could do.
Manuel cut all my needed pieces to length and delivered them to our home, just two blocks away
My work shop
I made a bed frame. two night stands, two small bookcases and a larger one just to place things on as we really had nothing, All for $50.
                                              My very first project..
We are truly using what we have. I brought a  box of hand tools only and a drill.The lumber is uneven in width but at least cut to correct length. I converted all my dimensions to metric only to find Manuel preferred standard US and he even used my tape. 


The completed frame and side tables of very rustic but serviceable homestead design
Completed project after painting. We are very comfortable now. 

After this success, Sharyl has several other projects for me to complete. I have completed the engineering and materials list, Two computer desks, a sewing table, and several other tables more serviceable than our boxes to make life a little easier and comfortable. With my help, Manuel will cut all to length and deliver.Working with wood of varying lengths and widths is a challenge. Adjustments have to be made on the spot so everything will sort of fit together.   It is just a very fun way of doing things here. Nothing fancy, but adequate for us.   

1 comment:

  1. So resourceful. I love the blue colour of your furniture too. It looks great! Your household sounds a little like ours. I come up with the ideas and Sherwin executes!

    We are living in the 'nothing fancy' world too so understand the joy of making things work out of thin air! It is good for our souls.

    Even though you are at a high elevation is it quite warm there?

    ReplyDelete