Monday, April 20, 2015

OBSERVATIONS ABOUT CUENCA

It is a very progressive city. There are a lot of cultural activities here. Art shows,classes, free symphony and other musical events. Something every week.

AND you can drink the water right from the tap. In many countries I have visited, you are not able to, so not having to worry about the water is wonderful.

There are many parks,large and small, open areas to enjoy. There are 4 rivers flowing through and around the city. All have access for pedestrians and/or bike paths. The parks are even equipped with exercise equipment for everyone to use.

There are 4 rivers flowing in and around Cuenca. We live in between two of them. they all come together southeast of the city and form the Paute River that flows into the Amazon




The city keeps Cuenca very clean. Sure there are those who litter,but there is an ordnance against it with steep fines. There are many clean-up crews working all the time, everywhere, even on the street where I live. The neighbors are always out sweeping and helping in the clean up. Pride of neighborhood.


I see hardly anyone smoking. What a joy to not have to endure that bad habit. Mostly of those I do notice smoking are Europeans.

People are so very friendly. Several who speak English and have noticed me looking for something in a store, have come up to me to ask if they can help me find something. What a pleasant surprise. Of course, I have become aware that they so wish to be helpful, that they will give you incorrect information rather than say "I don't know". I have been on several wild goose chases.

Most everyone you pass will greet you with a " Buenos Dias or Tardes" depending on the time of day. The common greetings is " Como se va  Buenos Dias" How's it going,Good Day.

We do not refrigerate our eggs. Hard not to do, however they are not refrigerated in the stores, so we place them in a basket almost as a decoration.




I DO NOT like their butter. Cant't explain but it seems like lard painted yellow.

Crossing streets is a real and can be dangerous undertaking. Pedestrians certainly do NOT have the right of way. At the light change, it is the cars turning right that you must watch out for. They just beep their horn and move you out of the way. I look and then just run across every time as I am never sure where a car will be coming from. My neck cant swivel as it used to.

Car alarms are going off much of the time. Either there are a lot of stolen cars or they go off accidentally. I am not sure the alarms do much good as so many go off no one is paying attention any more.

Everyone lives in a very secure home. There is either a solid wall or a big metal fence surrounding the home.All entrances, whether through the fence or otherwise are securely locked.  Additionally, there may be several electrically charged  wires mounted on top of the wall. I, however am not aware of any serious crime in our neighborhood







There are lots of dogs running loose all the time and many of them do a lot of barking. We have one poor dog just across the street. He has been chained to his dog house ever since we moved in. I never see anyone pay any attention to him or feed him although someone must. The building is a small apartment complex with several residents. The dog will bark when ever anyone who lives there comes or goes, just looking for attention and never gets any. ( That I have noticed) Very sad.




It seems that every or at least most vacant lots are used to grow food, whether it be chickens or vegetables even cows. Even homes with a large front or back yard are growing something.


These are my thoughts of Cuenca to date
There may be a future update



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your great stories and photos. And I love the photo I see when I first open up of the buildings. Is that in your city? Love your house and all your furnishings. You have been busy. It works the same way here. I dream and Sherwin makes the dreams come true.

    Have a lovely May. Do you ever get winter? Not sure about your car horns going off or the dogs barking. Is it quiet at night when you want to sleep?

    Be well and enjoy your paradise.

    ReplyDelete